COCAL is the Coalition of Contingent Academic Labor, a nearly 20 year old network of contingent activists and their organizations that does a conference (now tri-national – USA, CAN (including QBC) , and MEX) every other year, usually in August. It also sponsors a listserv, called ADJ-L, and has an International Advisory Committee and a website www.cocalinternational.org and Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/COCALInternational>.
These updates are compiled and distributed weekly by Joe Berry and are reprinted here with his permission. These are the updates from January 28, 2016.
1. Report from precarious work conference in Ontario
2. Mexican labor news and analysis (including teacher news)
UPDATES IN BRIEF AND LINKS
1. Raritan College (NJ) Faculty union (AFT) calls for fair contract
2. Job openings
Well, we are so busy that we now have 3 jobs open – 2 in SoCal and 1 in NoCal. Please share think link far and wide: http://nuhw.org/jobs/.
We thank you all for your continued support.
National Union of Healthcare Workers (NUHW)
5801 Christie Ave, Suite 525
Emeryville, CA 94608
3. The pitiful plight of part-time professors
4. Temple union (TAUP/AFT) changing constitution now that it won bargaining rights for adjuncts
5. NW MI Coll faculty confront Board over unionization (non-adjunct) NEA
6. Need to talk about adjunct profs’ treatment (St Louis U)
7. Academic waste
8. From AFT 1493 Advocate (San Mateo (CA) CCD) on adjuncts feeling undervalued, by one of our colleagues (full disclosure: I was an adjunct in this district, a member of union, and their staff Exec. Sec in the past.)
9. Grad student employees and unionization (IHE interview forum series part 1)
and #2 https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/gradhacker/graduate-student-employees-and-unionization-part-ii?utm_source=Inside+Higher+Ed&utm_campaign=8ef91c166e-DNU20160226&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_1fcbc04421-8ef91c166e-197454541
AAUP files amicus brief in grad unionization case
10. U of Alaska adjunct non-renewed for defending title IX
11. Colleges worried that new Obama overtime rules might make them pay post-docs (and others) more
12. Durham, NC City Council asked to back adjunct union
13. A year after unionizing, Boston U adjuncts still seek contract (SEIU)
14. Grads paid less in summer for same work
15. Grads at U of MO, Columbia stage work-in for union recognition
17. Video for Duke U union election
18. Geo. Mason U task force addresses adjunct concerns
19. San Diego adjunct actions
20. Collective bargaining leadership: an adjunct perspective by Robin Meade (who was fired while adjunct chapter president (AFT) and finally got her job back.
21. Laying off faculty ands closing programs brings College of St Rose’s president an award
22. CO CC faculty (AAUP) press state governing board for reforms,
23. Public education unions call Vergara (anti teacher tenure case) lawsuit meritless
24. March edition of Too Much, the newsletter on inequality by Sam Pizzigatti, former NEA comm dir.
25. From the Student Labor Action Project, “Wall Street, the real university president”
26. Anti-Spellings (New U of NC head) protest backed by adjunct SEIU group, Faculty Forward
27. Columbia College, Chicago, PFAC (adjunct union, Independent) has ULPs deferred back to greivance procedure for settlement
28. Columbus St Adjuncts carry big load with low pay and no benefits
29. No contract yet for Montclair St (NJ) adjuncts (AFT)
30. Our colleague, Bonnie Halloran, Pres of the AFT NTT local, LEO ,at U of MI, is featured in the Fall issue of the AFT’s On Campus magazine.
31. North Bay (north of SF, CA) Jobs With Justice job opening for lead organizer. For info Marty Bennett, firstname.lastname@example.org
32. St Rose FTTT faculty follow adjuncts’ lead and unionize (SEIU)
Please use <email@example.com>
21 San Mateo Road,
Berkeley, CA 94707